Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Deep Thoughts with Chuck Handy

Monopoly on Violence

That is definition of a nation state according to German political scientist and sociologist Max Weber and is indeed the most commonly accepted and succinct description of what makes a state. By extension, one could argue that the ultimate definition of subsidiary governments, especially municipal governments, within a nation state is similar. For instance, the control of Mayor Bloomberg's administration over New York City is ultimately legitimized not by the election he won (or bought), but by the monopoly on the use of force that the police department over which he has final control commands. So, what happens when municipalities lose control of that monopoly?

Welcome to the last 8 days in lovely New Haven, Connecticut.

I moved to New Haven about eight months ago and have said from day one that I am continually and pleasantly surprised by the Elm City. Everyone I spoke to prior to moving here ragged pretty hard on New Haven, admittedly due to its record of violence. I can't tell if I am getting a taste of reality or if something bigger - like the City government losing control of its monopoly on violence and New Haven suffering from a municipal version of state failure - is afoot here.

I am going to take a bold stand and say both. All along I knew in the back of my head that New Haven was a dangerous place so I am not shocked when I read about a murder, and having grown up in NYC I am sadly a little dulled by the news. But 5 murders in 8 days? Yikes.

State failure can be either partial or complete. Indeed partial state failure is much more common than total state failure. I would argue that one way in which partial state failure occurs is when law enforcement fails to adequately protect the citizens under its jurisdiction and the government has "market competition" for the use of force. This seems to be the case in New Haven.

I am not giving up on Mayor DeStefano. Yet. But I can say that people around here are nervous. They should be. New Haven is not Newark. Can't we all just get along?

(Apologies for the cheap shot re: your hometown of Newark, Phil. Not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment