Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bernie Carbo was Real Loose When he Hit that Home Run

The Boston Globe is currently running a series of stories of memorable Boston Sport’s figures and their 15 minutes of fame. From the Story:

Bernie Carbo launched the greatest pinch-hit home run in Red Sox history. He admitted he was high on drugs during the 1975 World Series.“I probably smoked two joints, drank about three or four beers, got to the ballpark, took some [amphetamines], took a pain pill, drank a cup of coffee, chewed some tobacco, had a cigarette, and got up to the plate and hit,’’ Carbo said.

I guess we can add Carbo to the ranks of Doc Ellis, David Wells and the ’86 Mets as great achievers in baseball while under the influence.

Carbo has since found Jesus and cleaned up his life. Side note: When I was younger, my parents went to some event and Carbo was there. My dad talked to him (said he was a really nice guy) and Bernie signed and wrote a fairly extensive message on a baseball for me and my brothers. The message was along the lines of those weird billboards you see in the South: Not so subtly promoting Jesus and possibly containing a quote from The Bible. I think we innocently played with that ball a few days later and lost it - likely to the beast when I ripped one of famous backyard home runs. Full story here.

3 comments:

  1. haha yes. I remember getting Bob Zupcic's autograph as a baseball card show on the gross UNE campus and him writing "Bob Zupcic 3:14" on it and I didn't know what it meant and then was mad after that he sullied up my auto with religibabble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clicked on the link at the end of this expecting to see a story on one of your backyard bombs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teddy, you blocked it out, it was so vicious.

    ReplyDelete