Monday, July 12, 2010

Beatdown of the day: Check out Pitchfork's review of M.I.A.'s new album

I'm going to be honest here...I don't like M.I.A. Sure, I see the potential, but overall, I see her as a self-promoting bore. Her talent is questionable and her popularity is clearly tied to her babe qualities and weirdness. Frankly, I don't have time for that.

So, it was with much head nodding and a little laughing out loud that I read this review.

Read the full piece here, and here are a couple of my favorite snippets.

Pop music has a way of forgiving artists on a hot streak. You can say, do, or get accused of horrible things, but most of time, if you're delivering the goods, the public will remain on your side. Right or wrong, the social contract is simple: If you bring the hits, we'll put up with your shit. With /\/\/\Y/\, M.I.A. has broken that contract.

The record is a shambling mess, devoid of the bangers that characterized Arular and Kala...

It's as if everything that was great about M.I.A. has been stripped from this music, leaving behind only the most alienating aspects of her art and public persona. It's hard to tell whether /\/\/\Y/\ is half-assed or half-baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment