Monday, April 26, 2010

The Maine Italian

It amazes me that the Italian Sandwich is relatively unknown across the United States. In my opinion, it's the best sandwich known to man. Or apparently unknown to man. Even in Boston you can't find a proper Italian. I've seen Italians here with 3 different kinds of meat and even lettuce. No, no, no...Maine is the only place that makes the perfect Italian - specifically the Town Landing Italian. A simple sub roll split in half layered with ham, cheese, tomatoes, pickles, chopped white onion and green peppers. I usually ixnay on the black olives and oil (the veggies keep it moist) but will take some salt and pepper on it. Couple this with a can of Coke and you're favorite bag of chips, and you've got a great lunch.

The Maine Italian has been a part of my life for as long as I remember. Italian consumption is always an occasion typically done in a mellow social setting, whether it's sitting on the Town Landing steps, the dock, the park, the boat or in front of an afternoon Sox game; the Maine Italian sandwich is something I always associate with my childhood, my friends and growing up in Maine. It's funny that something as simple as a sandwich can hold such personal meaning - or more aptly, the occasion of "getting an Italian." Whatever it is, it's awesome.

4 comments:

  1. That post just made me real hungry....and made me miss home! Cant wait to see you back in Maine for all the 6.25.10 festivities!

    p.s. was that pic taken while you were home over the weekend? I recognize that granite from your kitchen:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears are dripping from my eyes the same way oil drips from that edible artifact of Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got it, Sarah! We'll have to crush some TL on 6/26

    ReplyDelete
  4. What, TL isn't catering the 6/25 festivities? Weak sauce, Chuck.

    ReplyDelete